Meet Auntie Laurel!
Laurel was born to teach AND work with Children. Here are some little known facts about Laurel to prove just that:
- Her very first word was “Baby”
- Between the ages of 2 and 4 she carried on conversations with her 2 soldier spirit friends named John and Will
- When she was 5 years old she had a blackboard set up in her bedroom and came home every night to teach her dolls and stuffed animals (they were GREAT students and VERY quiet) what she learned in school
- The WHOLE time she was in public school, she was too shy to talk in class until she was in grade 10
- When she was 9 she was bullied by people she thought were her friends – she walked away never to be bothered again
- When she was in grade 5, she stepped onto a stage by herself and did her first performance and funny enough she didn’t once feel shy, nervous or scared – she LOVED it!!
- She volunteered for an entire summer at a local preschool as a Teacher’s Assistant (where kids pooped and drooled on her – the little ones that is)
- She worked as a Camp Counsellor with the City of Burlington and knows TONS of Camp Songs (just ask her)
- Auntie Laurel has a Bachelor of Arts in Child Studies from Brock University (did you know you can study Kids??)
- She is SO passionate about working with Kids that she gets extremely “cranky” if she doesn’t get to do so at least 5 times per week (just ask her Kids)
- Kids tell her “everything” which is kind of cool
- Her Kiddo Clients call her Auntie Laurel (if they feel like it)
- She has 2 Kiddos that are teenagers who are both really funny
- Auntie Laurel works with Kids that have troubles getting to sleep or staying asleep, anxious Kids (yep, she was one of those), and Kids that feel like “they don’t fit”
- Oh, and she calls EVERYONE Muffin-Cakes, Kitten or Darling (warning, warning)
Questions Kids Frequently Ask Auntie Laurel (and the answers)
- How old are you? Well, people have told her that she has been around since Egyptian times and that her faithful companion Jasmine (YES the CAT!!!) has traveled with her – how cool is that!! But, she was born in 1963 so you can do the math to figure it out!
- How many kids do you have, how old are they and what are their names? Laurel has 2 Kids – Alannah is 17 and Aidan is 13.
- What is your favourite colour? Laurel’s favourite colour is purple, blue and pink – oh that’s 3 – can we have 3 choices??
- How many pets do you have? Laurel has one pet now, Jasmine BUT at one time before she had kids she had 3 Cockatoos, 1 African Ring-Necked Parakeet, a Budgie and 2 cats, Lydia and Stinky ALL at the same time!
- What is your favourite food? Laurel LOVES food – all kinds!
If you have any more questions you can e-mail her and ask – she’ll post her answers soon!
Hey Health Care Professionals, Parents and Educators!